09 January, 2010

Keep on Truckin'...

That's what I'm hoping to do. I decided to take today to do some finishing as well as some knitting. I made it through 2 of the 3 projects I wanted to get fully done. I'm hoping to keep up on them much better this year.

The Girl's Jacket is finally finished, buttons and all! I believe this was my last FO of November.



Pattern: Baby Tiered Jacket (Ravel it)
Needles: US 10.5
Yarn: Berroco Peruvia Quick



This little knit was insanely fast. Took a total of 3 days plus 20 minutes of a 4th. The yarn I chose knits up at a looser gauge then what the pattern called for, so I knit the 3-6 month size and ended up with the 12-18 month one. It's a bit big on her, but it will likely fit next year then and be more of a coat then a jacket. Can't argue with a hand knit that will work for more then one season.








Even better, she's in love with the buttons and keeps talking about her "baaaaaiiii!"

Next is my first FO of 2010! Yes, already. And it's a sweater, kittens!







Pattern: Liesl (Ravel it)
Needles: US 10.5
Yarn: MadelineTosh Pastoral-Jade


I cast this on minutes into the new year. Midway through the 2nd, I realized that the initial size I chose to knit was going to be way too small. Bummer, since I was about 250-ish yards into the project. So, I had to rip and recast on the next size up. 5 days later, I had a finished sweater that fits pretty well.

This sweater has been an interesting experience. US 10.5s are the largest needles I own. Some will find that appalling, but it's true. I am not a large gauge knitter. Because of this, my sweater turned out rather smaller then the size cast on. In the case of the finished one, I cast on the 46" and ended up somewhere in the 40" range. It pulls very slightly at the fullest part of the bust, but that isn't a huge issue.

Now, when the pattern tells you that the neckline is problematic in the larger sizes, it isn't lying. I had to do a row of single crochet to keep in up on my shoulders where it belongs. Without it, the neckline was sitting halfway off of my shoulders, thinking of falling off. It was HUGE. Other then that, I didn't change anything with this pattern. I made it a longer short sleeve and left it slightly cropped. (I suspect that with time, the silk content may pull the sweater longer.)

I loved working with the Pastoral. It is so soft. It's a shame that it's been discontinued and will no longer be available after MadTosh retailers run out of their current stock.



So, I think this was all-in-all, a great first week to 2010 in regards to knitting. I've already knocked out the first of (hopefully) fifteen sweaters I plan to do this year. I've already cast on my second, a Featherweight Cardigan for my mother in Sundara Sock.





Here's a little peek at it. I usually dislike autumnal colors, but I'm rather liking this colorway. I think she's going to love it.

I'm also working hard on the finishing details of The Husband's sweater and my first pair of socks for the year.












1 comment:

Kitten said...

I think both finished sweaters are quite awesome (and I love the picture of the featherweight cardigan)! I'm so envious of your speed.