10 February, 2011

Block 7





Right at the end of January, I finished up this 7th quilt block and then stopped while I considered what I really wanted to do with our bed quilt.

You see, kittens, that nagging feeling I often get was starting to roar at me. I really liked the blocks I've been making, but I wasn't digging the pattern they came from. This is not the fault of the pattern, but rather, my inability to notice that the retro starburst panels used were not random as I had remembered; they were actually in a symmetrical pattern in the middle of the quilt. Once I realized this--but not before I spent many days vainly hoping I'd find more panels for sale--and started to play with my own quilt's layout, I realized there was no way to make the quilt look like anything but an after thought. And really, who wants to put something on her bed that looks like she gave little-to-no thought to it?

It just wouldn't do.

So I took a couple of days off to regroup before deciding where to go next. I ended up spending an entire evening carefully drawing and redrawing--to scale--different layouts for my quilt top until I came upon one that struck my fancy and was the clear winner.

No, I'm not sharing it yet. It's going to be a surprise. But needless to say, this quilt should finish up much more quickly, and hopefully, it will have a much more modern and purposeful feel to it.

No comments: