27 July, 2007

First two knitting projects...



Recently, I have found a new hobby to keep me busy. I am learning how to knit, thus the title of this blog. I will keep track of all my projects here rather then my personal journal.





For my first project, I made a scarf. Nothing overly-original there. Used a soft heathered wool yarn, worsted weight, and size 8 needles, I believe. I found out, I knit a little loose and need to go down a needle size to stay in gauge. This project didn't take too long, roughly an hour a day for about a week.
Learned the project, while useful for learning to knit, was impractical. The scarf it yields is just too short to have an real use. I should have cut it short and made a dishrag instead, perhaps.












Project #2 was a rolled-brim hat. Once again, nothing too exciting but I did learn about increasing and decreasing while doing it. I used this beautiful handpainted superwash wool and size 7 needles. I still have half the skein of yarn left and am wondering what I can do with this beautiful fiber so it doesn't go to waste!
I'm very excited for the trip back to Wisconsin this winter so I'll have an opportunity to use this hat which is gorgeous in person. The air rarely gets chilly enough in Texas during the day to show it off.

I am now looking for my next project and can't wait to get started on it.

No comments: