28 July, 2007

Project 3: head scarf

I have three skeins of sport weight alpaca yarn I picked up at a funky yarn shop in Austin the first time I tried to learn to knit about two years ago. Now, I couldn't tell you why I picked up the yarn I did or if I had a project in mind for it. My husband says I picked it up purely because I loved the feel and the color: it sounds like something I'd do as I'm a very tactile person and pick my clothing based on how it feels rather then how it looks.
Coming from a quilting background doesn't help. Usually when you find some fabric you love, you can pick up a little and squeeze it into a project. You can work around it. I'm finding knitting is a bit more precise and project-oriented then that. So note to self: Do not buy yarn that you do not have a project in mind for or a use. It will sit in your closet for two years and gather dust while you feel miserable and guilty that you haven't used it.

So yesterday I went on a search for a quick project. One that would allow me to use up some of said yarn and wouldn't require any hardware I don't already own. Meaning I had to be able to do it with single-point needles in a small smattering of sizes. Rather then get a monster collection of items I may not use, I've been picking up needles as I have gone. I finally ended up in my Stitch 'n' Bitch book and found the perfect project: kitchy head scarf. Seemed simple enough, didn't require any skills I don't already have and even better, no additional hardware I'd need to purchase in order to do it. Seemed like a godsend.

But then, Mommy Brain struck and what should have been a very simple and relaxing project turned into a vexing exercise and lesson in why one does not try to start a new pattern while her toddler is wailing like a banshee. I can do a lot of things when he decides to be like this--knitting is apparently not one of them and now I know better.


So three restarts later and the realization my frazzled brain was adding instructions that
didn't exist, I finally got what I was looking for: a quick, easy project that I can actually use. I think it turned out quite well and it is one of my favorite colors which is always a bonus. Not counting the times I messed up, this was a two to three hour project. I have plenty of yarn that I could make more if I knew more people that like the same colors I do.

Now it's time to find the next project. I think I have the perfect one in mind; I should have enough yarn left over from my rolled-brim hat, but I need to buy either circular or double-pointed needles to work on it. Would be a nice change from the projects I've been doing and maybe I'll learn enough to start doing socks. I'd love to make socks and have already found several yarns I need the excuse to buy.
I also have a dishcloth pattern my MIL gave me that will teach me how to do yarn-overs, but I need to find a decent yarn to do that with. I'm thinking maybe a good sturdy cotton should do.





No comments: