20 December, 2010

Vikings, Day 13

Kittens, today I will ask that you use your imaginations. I will not be providing a picture. Visualize yesterday's doll, but with two legs. Now you know what I did last night.

In my last post, I forgot to mention the time involved to stuff the body and knit that one leg down to the boot: 2.5 hours. Last night, it took 2 hours to knit the other leg and stuff it. These are a time intensive knit, to be sure. (If anyone is wondering why I'm keeping track, well...I like numbers, and I'm genuinely curious how many hours go into a project like this. People will ask and I want to have a number on hand to quote.)

Based on how long these are taking, working only 2-3 hours a night for the next 4 is not going to cut it. I still have to knit:

* 2 legs for the girl doll and stuff her: ~4.5 hours labor
* 4 horns for the helmets: ~1 hour to knit/ 1 hour to stuff and seam on
* 2 belt ends: ~ 1 hour to knit/ 15 minutes to seam on
* 2 swords: ~2 hours to knit/ 2 hours to stuff/seam/embroider/attach

This list does not include embroidering on the details like the face and shirt laces, nor does it include embroidering on the hair. Off the top of my head, I'm going to guess those tasks will take me another 3-4 hours.

So, let's do the math. I have an estimated 15 hours and 45 minutes worth of labor to do in 4 days. 2 hours a night will not cut it, and I came to this realization last night as I was packing up and stowing the dolls away.

My children are too old to work in front of anymore...so what will I do? The husband should be home every day from now until the end of the year, so I'm going to lock myself in my bedroom for 20-30 minutes at a time and try to steal an extra 2 hours a day to finish the dolls up.

3 comments:

SusanB-knits said...

wow! I didn't know how much time was involved. You'll have to find an extra two hours each day.
If you were still here, I'd watch the kids for a few hours so you could knit.

Unknown said...

I'm glad that your husband is home to be able to give you time to work!

Jen said...

You can do it!!!! Good luck. I can't wait to see the finished pics:)