10 December, 2008

I am a monogamous knitter

And for good reason: if I dare take a break from a project before it is finished, its chances of getting dropped are almost 100%. I've only ever done this once, with my first attempt at the Central Park Hoodie, and I never could get back into it. I tried, I really did. The desire to knit it and see the finished product was completely gone by the time I returned to it. In the time I took a break from it, I fell out of love with the yarn and could find only annoyance with it. For that reason, I knit only one project at a time and until it is finished. I broke this rule to make my daughter's Xmas dress, and now I am having problems getting into my Shorty again. I'm moving on it, but my mind keeps wandering to other projects I'd rather be doing. Things do not bode well for you, my Shorty. I'm afraid if I give into the "other project" urge again, it will join my ill-fated CPH and never be completed. So I'm trying to get it done as quickly as possible and realizing I may never be able to knit fast enough to beat this need to move onto something else. It does not help that the Winter Knitty just launched or that I have so many books and magazines with wonderful projects singing their siren song to me. I'm looking at you, Twist Collective.

Things are going relatively well on the Shorty. I'm having to take a lot of length out of it--nothing new there--but having a hard time figuring out exactly where to take it from as I can not visualize how it will come together. For the time being, I'm doing the L size for width and the M size for height of the sweater. I really love the yarn I'm working with. Wollmeise is lovely on the hands and even though the colors are a bit garish when fresh from the skein, they blend together nicely in the knitting. If I can just get to the end of the back, I think I'll be OK. Right now, I'm about 1/3 of the way up the large back panel.

Must be strong. All you other projects, wait your turn.

No comments: